Saratoga Irish

Monday, September 18, 2006

Exercise, the bane of my existence. Everyone asks me if I've been exercising along with my diet. No. I hate exercising, work alone gives me a bit of a workout and I did start to walk for a short while. Sean has spent his life running, I see or feel no joy in running. When I was young running was a punishment. At football practice if you did something wrong, take a lap. Since I had kids I don't even have to run for a beer anymore. They talk about "a runners high", never, I think that the brain cells that you kill by drinking are the same ones that give you the runners high. It's your body's way of the protecting the brain cells that let you keep all the useless knowledge for trivia at the bars, while you drink more and kill off the exercise brain cells. The time has come for something though. Sunday I walked the 5K cross country course in the state park. The plush greens and rolling hills of the 3.1 mile trail only took me 54 minutes to finish, or as the saying goes, a stroll in the park. I'm not really that proud of the time when you think that Sean used to run the same course in under 15 and 1/2 minutes. By my calculations I would have not have been to the peerless pool( 1 mile mark ) when Sean would have been crossing the finish line. So what's the use? Should I go out again? Ok, I'll try again. The worst part about walking for exercise is that you can't quit. On a treadmill, step off it. Two miles out in the woods the only way to quit is to walk back to where you started in the first place, it's a vicious cycle. So if you are out in the park today and you hear heavy breathing deep in the woods it's not some pervert it's just me trekking along . Happy trails to you, until we meet again, or la dee dee, la dee da, la dee dee, a backpack on my back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home