Saratoga Irish

Tuesday, September 12, 2006


I am back! A little burning wire is not enough to stop this blogger from blogging all day. Wednesday night the cable went out. With it the internet, phone service and my life as I know it. I couldn't check on any news of the day. I had to read a real newspaper, and I couldn't get the repair man here until yesterday. When the cable repair man shows up this is what he found. Something happened with the electrical service and the cable became the ground. When it overheated, it started to burn, as did the grass under it and the side of the house. A call to National Grid was needed. You have to love a voice menu that asks, is this an electric emergency press one. I finally get a real person and relay my situation to them. They tell me that they will have someone out to me soon. How soon? Sometime today. A National Grid service man arrives about an hour and a half later. He checks the meter, everything fine, I don't know if he noticed the burnt grass he standing in or the singed siding but we are going down to the basement. Here's your problem, the entry wire from the meter to the panel in the basement has shorted out. Have to get an electrician. Is it me or does your cell phone have bad spots were you don't get service? Mine is my house, I have to call from the driveway. Back to the story, I call Alltone Electric and tell them what's what. I even ask for Ed Connelly to do the work. I get a call back in about 15 minutes from the boss himself and he will be there in about an hour. The electrician gets there and replaces the wire that the National Grid serviceman said was bad, guess what! Not the problem. At this point it's about 5pm and I'm a bit pissed. The electrician then calls National Grid and tells them to send someone. Good thing I bought all those candles for Saturday night because it was about 8:30 when the National Grid lineman showed up. We check, yes we I held the flashlight, the meter and everything is fine, we go into the basement and check the panel, everything fine. Start to turn on the circuits and not fine. Now this guy says, problem in the panel you need to get your electrician back. I tell him to hold on and we go out into the driveway to use my cell phone. I call Dave from Alltone who was good enough to give me his home phone number in case something like this happened. I hand the phone to the National Grid guy and he gets a few instructions. We walk to the pole and low and behold a wire is dangling at the connection. Why the first National Grid guy didn't look at the pole is beyond me and apparently beyond the serviceman realm. An hour later we are up and running. Now the bad news. When the cable wire burnt through and became disconnected, the electric lost it's ground and sent a serge of power through the house. I lost the TV in the living room, the TV in the family room, the play station 2, my alarm clock, Jack's cd/alarm clock, a cd player, a power serge protector and giving it's life to save the computer, a second heavy duty serge protector. How was your Monday?
Last Thursday night we held our monthly meeting. We swore in four new members my son Mike, Kevin Quinn and his two sons Liam and Kieran. Welcome guys.
Saturday night we held our first dinner dance. The turn out was very, very small but those that did show had a good time. Only one casualty, we killed a bottle of Tullamore Dew.
This Saturday is the Irish 2000 Music and Arts Festival check their website for information. www.irish2000fest.com
Remember. Golf outing, Oct. meeting ( nominations for officers at this meeting) Murphy memorial and last but not least the division web site www.saratogaaoh.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home