Saratoga Irish

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Father's Day



Father's Day is coming up, I know this because every ad on TV is what to get for your father. Lowes, Home Depot, Budwiser, The OutBack restaurants, doesn't matter, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. What do fathers really want for their day? They don't want gifts, this father would just like to spend time with his children. We, as fathers, don't think about what our lives will be like when the young ones have grown and moved away. Even the ones that are close by, have lives of their own to live. My wish for father's day is to have one more moment of walking into the house and the kids come running to me, excited that I was home.
You see, as a child you don't realize how important you are to the everyday living of your father. Only as an adult, when sometimes it is too late, you wish you had spent more time with dad. My father passed on in 1980. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think of him and miss him. I wish that he had lived to see my children. What joy it would have been for him. My brother and sisters now laugh and tell "dad" stories. Who lasted the longest learning to drive with dad before they pulled the car over and told him to drive. The late night ghost stories around the camp and dad would scare everyone. The day you walked in to a bar together and shared a beer.
I only hope that my grandchildren hear great stories about me when I am gone.
Until then, dad, I miss you.
Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there and to my kids especially, I was only joking about the no gift thing.




FYI, as of this morning (Friday) no Canadians have read the post about Canada. Take off you hosers .
Saturday morning update. All it took was calling them out. One lone Canadian read the blog yesterday , apparently the rest are still reeling from the loss to Boston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home