Saratoga Irish

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day. To all of you out there with young children, remember the best is yet to come. My father passed away in 1980. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and miss him. With age comes wisdom (why do I hear Rob saying, "spin us a yarn old guy"). Hopefully, I have learned to be a good father by the actions of my father. Remember the little bastards are always watching you (how could I not be a good father and write a sentence like that). The lessons that you teach may not be understood for a long time. My father was 41 when I was born. I don't remember my dad being young. We would walk to the corner store and the woman there would call him "red". My dad didn't have red hair, it was all gray. My dad worked two jobs but still had the time for us. My mom worked nights so my dad would cook dinner, if you didn't like what he had made, there is the kitchen. So I learned to cook for myself. Everyone that knew my dad has a funny story to tell about him. I hurt my dad in June of 1976, I failed a half year social studies class and could not graduate with my class. I will never forget sitting outside the principle's office with my father, him not saying anything (this had lasted about a day and a half already, from the time we had gotten the word till this point in time). Just about then Mrs. Rothstein, the head of the English department, came out of the office, "YOU" that was all I can remember her saying, I do know that she went up one side of me and down the other tearing me a new one and the whole time I was thinking "Dad, stop this crazy woman. Don't let her yell and scream at your son like this. Do something" but he didn't. He just sat there listening to everything that he wanted to say but didn't. It took me until 2002, when my oldest graduated from high school to really know how much I had let my parents down. I went over to my mom and hugged her and said I was sorry. I only wish my dad had been there. That is the one true regret I have is that my dad had not lived to see my children.
Now I have four children, grown but not all grown. Each is special in their own way but as they get older I see more of me in each one, (sorry Sam but you are your father's daughter). over the next few months we, as a family, will break new ground. Michael graduates from high school in two weeks. He will be off to Chicago for school in the fall. Sean and Sara will wed in early September. All the kids are in the wedding party so you will see a photo of how well we clean up. Sam will be finishing up her college career and Jack will have to endure high school with out his big brother around. So what am I looking for this father's day? Nothing, I have father's day every day, (don't tell them about this I still want gifts). A couple of years ago, it was Christmas and I was very depressed. I was feeling sorry for myself and taking it out on everyone around me. It was going to be the first Christmas without my children, according to the courts, every other Christmas the children spend with me. So here it was Christmas Eve and we were sitting in my mom's church waiting for mass. My sister came over with a woman and asked me if I remembered her. Of course I did, I hadn't seen her in a long while but I grew up with her sons and had spent a lot of time at their house as a kid. I introduced her to my children and she said,"you have a very lovely family" I said yes I do and thanked her. After she left I sat with my very lovely family and the depression lifted. So to all you fathers out there, do not take for granted the times with your children, they will pass all to quickly. Hold on to that home made card and treasure it as if it were a priceless piece of art; because it is. As they make a fuss about you today keep in mind the old Crosby, Stills and Nash song, Teach Your Children, playing in your head.
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve...that was just lovely. Who knew you had such a sweet and sensitive side to you?

Hope your father's day was great!

NL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home