Saratoga Irish

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Week


Well it's crunch time. Christmas is just one week away. The malls will be packed the shelves a bit less crowded. I always find last minute shopping easier because you have less of a choice, "Do you have this sweater in green? No, are you sure this is the only one left? Well I guess this will have to do". You see, Christmas has become the time to buy buy buy. We all shop like crazy to get the hot item each year without any regard to the true meaning of Christmas. I won't go into a long theological rant about the true meaning of Christmas because anyone that has been around for the last 40 years or so knows the true meaning of Christmas, Charlie Brown. What Christmas has become is a mad dash for over a month of trying to get everything for everyone so you can relax with family for one day. Less then a day if you work for the Post Office. At 9pm on Christmas day the night shift reports to work so that everyone can get their visa bills on the day after Christmas. Not that this blog was meant to be a rant about the Post Office but.... I have worked for the PO for the better part of 25 years. Christmas comes and goes each year but the way that management runs around like a chicken without it's head you would think that this was the first time. Today is a big day at the PO for the workers. They have to post the work schedule for the Christmas holiday today. You see, since we all don't have the same days off a holiday at the PO last three days. Christmas is the 25th, unless your day off is the 25th. If your day off is Tuesday then your holiday is Monday. Unless of course you have Monday off also, the your holiday is Sunday. So for each Holiday a schedule is posted a week ahead of time saying who is working. Now I understand that Sunday (my day off) is the last day to get the mail out to be delivered, so I have no problem being forced to work my day off. Monday is a different story. Any mail that we sort on Monday will sit till Wednesday. So why will they force any extra workers on Christmas Eve? Because they act like this has never happened before. That's enough about the PO, except, my Christmas wish is that my children never have to work for a company like the USPS. I want my children to have careers not jobs. I want them to be able to travel to one of their siblings home for the holidays. Notice the s, I want my kids to be able to stay a few days with their families and gather for huge meals and long conversations. Sitting around a living room, (drinking and laughing, they are Curran's) telling stories of Christmas' past as the children sit on the floor listening to what their Grandfather had to do to make a nice Christmas for their parents. "Remember the time dad took us to the strip club for Christmas" I guess I see too much Hollywood. But it comes all down to what Christmas should be about and that is Family. Spend time not money. Enjoy the laughter forget about the gifts. the greatest gift you can give at Christmas is your love. http://picasaweb.google.com/saratogairish/ChristmasMemories
I posted some photos of past Christmas' so if you would like to see just click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home