Saratoga Irish

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So when did Valentine's Day become a second Christmas? Back in the day ( when you get old you get to say that, alot, and about everything.) a box of candy or a couple of flowers did the trick. Now it's diamonds. Have you seen the television ad blitz the past few weeks. I can't get the jingle, Every kiss begins with Kay's out of my head. Today will be a great Valentine's Day with the snow falling and people trying to still go out to dinner. The other night on the TV show The Class, they had almost the same scenario, the snow was falling and no one could get to the person they wanted to be with. At one point in the show they talked about what the worst Valentine's Day each one could remember. So what's your worst? Mine had to be fourth grade. Remember when you were young and you got the big box of valentines for your class. You start right in with your friends, using only the best of the box for those guys. Next up were the not so pretty girls, leaving the hotties till last. Well everything was going to plan until I ran out of valentines. My sister Joanne had to make about four or five valentines for me out of red and pink construction paper. they were the nicest valentines anyone in the class would be getting and I had to give them to the hot girls, how humiliating.
As for my best Valentine's Day I guess it would be a toss up between the year I sent a girl a dozen long stem red roses, ( at the time there were two of us trying to win her over, the other guy sent a dozen roses also, but not the long stem kind) the florist that I used, yes florist because back in the day (see above) Price Chopper didn't sell flowers, OK where was I, oh yeah, the florist I used ran out of red roses so they substituted three dozen yellow roses. What I lost in color I made up for in volume. Needless to say neither one of us ended up with the girl. The other memorable Valentines Day was just last year when I had the pleasure of taking this young woman out to dinner. We went to the Old Dublin Inn for a late dinner, the crowd had thinned a bit but it was still crowed. We got a table down stairs which was fine. It was quiet down there and very romantic. The kitchen door is in that room so we saw the waitstaff coming and going. Mike the bartender came down to pick up an order from the bar and almost fell over when he saw my date. The perfect reaction to a perfect night.




So what am I doing this Valentines Day? At this point the highlight may be shoveling snow or writing amusing blogs for all the rest of you alone on Valentine's Day or watching The Departed on dvd.
As you can tell Valentine's Day is not one of my favorite holidays. I seem to do much better with the women on Christmas or St. Patrick's Day. So let's laugh about February 14th and look forward to March 17th when all the women love Steve.



Christmas good


Irish 2000 better


St. Patrick's Day the best



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home