Saratoga Irish

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Can you believe it's going to be 50* today? It's January 3rd for crying out loud. not that I'm complaining, just the opposite. I love it! It feels like spring. Everyone knows what spring is for. Every spring, young men's fancy turns to love. If that's the case then in my fancy it's always spring. You can't have love without music so today let's talk music. Micky Gilly sang "Lookin for Love in all the wrong places" and I think he was right. As most of you know I have been very melancholy ( what a great word ) for the last few months. Things have happened that tried to knock the legs out from under me. I am still standing. I am still standing because of the love around me. So let's look at love songs today. there are so many love songs that no one could list them all so lets break them down into categories.
First, let me set the scene for you. A chilly October night, a soft rain against the window, lightning in the distance. The fire in the fireplace lights the room as you sit and sip champagne with that someone special ( I love being politically correct ). As you take him/her (again with the pc) in your arms what songs are playing?
1. "Breezin" George Benson
2. "If You Don't Know Me By Now" Simply Red
3. "Let's Get it On" Marvin Gaye
4. "When You Say Nothing at All" Ronan Keating
5. "Arms of an Angel" Sarah McLachlan

So the night in October worked and now you are a wonderful couple. At some point, be it a wedding, a party or just a night out, you have to dance with your partner. To what song will you dance?
1. "Have I told You Lately" Van Morrison
2. "Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton
3. "Color My World" Chicago
4. "The Way You Look Tonight" Tony Bennett
5. "In My Life" the Beatles ( check out Dave Mathews version)

Things are going great, or at least you think so, then BAM it hits you. The breakup. Divorce, or just going your separate ways, you need music.
1. "The Breakup Song" American HiFi
2. "Song for the Dumped" Ben Folds

You start to move on with your life, it's a small world so you are sure to run into this person from time to time so you have to have music for these times.
1. "Wall of Tears" Francis Black
2. "You Don't Know Me" Ray Charles or Van Morrison will due.
3. "I love You Too Much to ever Start Liking You" Lobo
4. Stuck in a Moment" U2
5. "I Will Survive" Donna Sumer

If by chance you are one of those lucky ones who finds their true love and stay together for years and years and years. Yes there is music for you also.
1. "You're Still the One" Shinia Twain
2. "When I'm Sixty four" The Beatles
3. "Unforgettable" Nat King Cole
4. "Someone Like You" Van Morrison

So these are just a few of the songs of your life. Always remember there are more songs for you out there. How about "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2, "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" by Alan Jackson, or Toby Kieth's "I Love This Bar". My advice for all of you out there may just be summed up in two songs. "Always Look on the Brightside of Life" by Monty Python and Steven Lynch's "Her Big Fat Friend".

If you think your life might just be a movie, try this sound track quiz thing. You choose 18 different things in your life. Put shuffle on your music and as you ask each question of your life write down the song that is playing. Here's mine.

1.opening credits: “I Will Remember You” Sarah McLachlan
2.Waking up: “Since You’ve Been Gone” Kelly Clarkson
3. First Day Of School: “Rock on Rockall” Wolfe Tones
4. Falling in Love: “The Umbreilla Song” The McKrells
5.Fight song:Life Will Go On” Chris Isaak
6. Breaking Up:”The Body of an American” The Pogues
7. Prom: “You’re Still the One” Shania Twain
8. Life:Last Letter Home” Dropkick Murphys
9.Mental Breakdown:Take Me Anywhere” The McKrells
10.Driving:Space Cowboy” Homer Simpson
11. Getting Back Together:America, You’re not the WorldChristy Moore
12.Wedding:My Little Lady” Seven Nations
13. Child's Birth:”Be Without You” Mary J. Blige
14. Lifetime success:Angel” Alison Brown
15. Lifetime Tragedy:Streets of New York” Wolfe Tones
16. Death scene:Irish Bagpipes”
17. Funeral:Days Like This” Van Morrison
18.End Credits: “Breakaway” Kelly Clarkson

I have over 1000 songs in my playlist and some of these came up pretty close to what I might have picked myself. Try it. it's fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home