Saratoga Irish

Sunday, January 07, 2007

I checked the update on Sean's website, as all of you should, and found that he, at my urging, posted the results of his soundtrack of his life. He also seems to have lost a bit of respect for the old fella because of some of the music in my play list. He said, "I think he might of wanted to think twice about posting an update that shows people that he has Sarah McLachlan , Shania Twain, and Mary J Blige on his play lists". Not as bad as when Millis heard a song on my i-pod and demanded to know why I would have that song. So let me explain my feelings about music. I think that as you go through life you collect songs like a young boy collects baseball cards. You have your hero cards like Mickey Mantle and Don Mattingly but you also have a lot of crappy players too. You have to keep all the cards because if you didn't your set would not be complete. Remember those days, opening a new pack of cards. Popping that piece of pink plastic covered in some kind of white powder that they called gum into your mouth. Thumbing through the cards in front of your friends to the tune of "Got'im, got'im, got'im, need 'im, got'im". Music is the same. The more you have lived, the more people that have been a part of your life, the more songs in your collection. I'll be the first to admit in my music file I have John Denver and Barry Manilow. I also have Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison, so I guess it kind of evens out. As in every other aspect of life, those of you without sin may cast the first stone. Look through your records, if you were a teen in the 70's do you still have that Saturday Night Fever soundtrack? That's right you listened to the Bee Gee's, you know you did. So here I am opening myself up to the world for everyone to see that I listen to Melanie. I have over 1000 songs in my music file. Every genre is there, Folk, rock, country, classical, pop, and yes, disco. I don't hate disco, when I hear the Tramps "Disco Inferno" I think back to some great nights at Fatso Fogertys, dancing, drinking, three gins for a dollar, all the beer you could drink for $5. Those were some good times. When i hear the Bee Gees I think, "What were we thinking?". As I go through my music file I think I have everything covered from ABBA to ZZ Top. I have Dean Martin and I have Ozzie Osborne. I have Limp Bizkit, Oingo Boingo and the Allman Brothers. Everything has to even out, a good balance of tunes shows a well rounded life. In the Irish music category, I have the plastic patty stuff but I also have Christy Moore. Picking your favorite song is a lot like picking your favorite child, well almost. I do have some songs that seem to show up on every play list that I make. At least some performers show up on all the play list. I mean how can you put together a play list and not have Van the Man and U2? Hopefully I have passed on a love of music to my children, I do quiz them sometimes and can proudly say that they do very well in naming a Roy Orbison song or Elvis Costello. Samantha even knows a few Irish tunes. I think it would be fun to write down the top ten songs that would embarrass you if your friends knew you had them list. No, I'm not going to do it. I still want my kids to have a little respect for the old man. So sit back and listen to your songs and smile when you hear a song everyone else is laughing about, smile and think of the memory that song brings and enjoy.
Sean's site is www.curranstat.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home