Saratoga Irish

Friday, January 13, 2012

Songs in the Key of Life



Why is it that some songs just fill your head with memories as soon as you hear the first note? What makes that song so special? The song above, you would think, would bring back those warm memories of a girl named Amy ( or Amie or any other way you want to spell it) but you would be wrong. Back in the late '70's ok the mid '70's we would all go to the Across The Street Pub, it was the local hangout and the SUNY kids stayed away. The song Amie played over and over on the jukebox there. So this song fills my head with the memories of youth and freedom. A time before marriage, kids, and responsibilities. There are songs that do bring back those warm fuzzy memories, Chris Issacs', Wicked Games for one and wait I'm enjoying those memories..............................OK, I'm back, another one is the Cars' My Best Friends Girl, (those started warm and fuzzy but ended much different). So, what is it about a song that changes the way you smile when you listen to it. Now are those songs ruined for further use? I mean, what if, hypothetically, you meet a person one night and hit it off, as you often do when you meet someone and booze is involved, and let's say, you dance and look longingly into each others eyes and the song playing is, for example, Van Morrison's Into The Mystic, the next morning ,right away you know you made a mistake, is that song gone forever in your memory? Can you re gift, so to speak, a song? Can you go to the same bar each week, play the same song and win the heart of a different lady? If you can't, then I may have wasted a few great songs on the wrong person. Now we are at the point of this posting. I was playing around on youtube looking for songs to post that fell into the mood I was in. I kept thinking that if I posted a certain song someone may see it and think I was doing it for her when all I wanted to do was share a good song with others. Maybe if I posted it with a disclaimer, "Mary, This is not for you" that might work. Then again Mary may hate me more than she already did, if that's possible. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stop with just "It's not for you", I would ramble on and dig the hole I was in deeper and deeper, but that's just the way I roll, stupid to a fault. So, again, should we read more into a song then we should? If on facebook someone post a song do we over think the situation and hold an intervention or is it just that they like the song cocaine by Eric Clapton? If we used to dance or make out to Van Morrison's Have I Told You Lately, it doesn't mean I want to get back together with you, perhaps I have become a bit religious or maybe, just maybe, I like Van Morrison. So keep the memories to yourself and sit back and enjoy the music, but "Bill" (go back to Sept. 2006 for the meaning) I still think of you warmly when I hear You Don't Know Me, by Van or Ray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home