Saratoga Irish

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Bad Christmas Songs



I grew up in the age of rock and roll, as a child, the Beatles were sweeping the nation. So apart from rock and roll, Irish music and Christmas music are my favorites. Although you can listen to Irish music all year, by February, Christmas music gets old. Each Autumn ( it used to be winter but some radio stations started playing Christmas music at the end of October) like an old friend we get to embrace our selves in Christmas music again.

While searching youtube the other day for an old favorite (Frosty the Snowman by Leon Redbone and Dr. John) I came across the video above, Bob Dylan singing, Must be Santa, and it dawned on me, there are a lot of bad Christmas songs. Although growing up in Catholic school we were taught to love the sinner, hate the sin, I believe that in this case it's Love the sin, hate the sinner. When Raffi sings, Must be Santa, to kids it's a good song, Dylan singing it to anyone, bad song. So here are just a few of the bad songs I found.

Cherry, Cherry Christmas is the tittle track of Neil Diamond's Christmas album. I'll write that again so you don't miss it, Cherry, Cherry Christmas is the title track of Neil Diamond's Christmas album. The first verse is,
Wish you a merry cherry, cherry Christmas
and a holly holy holiday too.
Underneath your tree may there always be
sounds of harmony, not a song sung blue.
Now Christmas may be something new to Neil, but Christmas songs should be about the birth of Christ or Santa, not a collage of all your own songs.

At least Tiny Tim kept Santa in his Christmas song, Santa's got the AIDS this year. I believe the title says it all.

Lou Monte's Dominick the Donkey, makes the list. If I was Italian I would really hate this song.

Snoopy's Christmas by the Royal Guardsmen is a song that has outlived it's humor. A funny sequel to the Guardsman novelty hit Snoopy vs. the Red Baron in 1966. It was a one Christmas wonder.

With all due respect to Michael Buble, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis , Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and all the rest of the great singers that have tried to sing White Christmas, unless Bing is singing, it's a bad song.

Well there you have it, a few of the bad Christmas songs out there. I hope you find the songs you are looking for this holiday season and remember what Bruce Springsteen, Fred Astaire, James Taylor, Perry Como, The Jackson 5 and countless others have told you....Santa Claus is coming to town.

1 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gotta say it, Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" is still my fav! Just posted it on my most recent blog. http://chesterly.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/gluttonous-shopping-without-sharing/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home