Saratoga Irish

Thursday, April 26, 2007

What do fish and house guest have in common? They both start to stink after three days.
So far the weekend has been great so what's a better way to top it off then with a ballgame. We drove to Baltimore from the apartment and parked the car in a very convenient parking garage. It was convenient because it led us back to the same bar as yesterday. The only difference was the choice of beer. On Saturday we had Bud Light in the aluminium bottles, today the best bet was Red Stripe, yea beer. After two we walked across the street and went into Camden Yards. As we walked towards the factory wall I saw a stand set up for caricatures. I talked Sara and Sean into posing for one. While Sara was having her portrait done Sean and I had a Bud Aluminum bottle. When the drawing was done the artist asked if they would pose for a photo for her portfolio. That was enough time for me to finish my bud and head for the Guinness stand for a couple of pints of Smithwicks. Our tour of Oriole park continued to spin the chicken wheel, of course I had to have my picture taken with the cow first. Sara won free waffle fries while Sean and myself won free chicken. I was all excited till I found out that the chicken place wasn't there, I gave my free card to Sara. It was getting close to game time but we still had time for a bite to eat ...and another bud draught. We got to our seats in left field row GG( AA is first, BB is second row, you get the idea) we were just to the fare side of the foul pole. The national anthems were sung and the game is about to start, "Yo beer man" we get a couple of Coor's light and the game begins. In case you are keeping score at home that's five beers before the start of the game. The game is fun and we are meeting some good people around us, by the fifth inning I am into about my ninth beer when I start to yell at the Blue Jay left fielder, Adam Lind. (Ed. Note I. Adam Lind is a 23 year old rookie first baseman who is playing in his 25 major league game and has to put up with me. I felt bad Monday when I looked him up on the Blue Jays web page but then I thought,Hey he makes more money than I will in my entire life time, then I didn't feel bad for him anymore.)
"HEY LIND, I am from Canada too. You better listen to me Ah"
"This guy gonna hit the ball right down the line Lind, you better move over here"
Adam Lind is a professional baseball player, I am a drunk in the stands, what do I know. Crack!!! line drive right down the left field line for a double. As young Mr. Lind fetches the ball out of the corner I let him have it again.
"I told you he gonna hit it down the line Ah, I from Canada I would not lie to you"
And this is how it went on and on and on. The woman sitting next to me said you could see him cringe every time I called out his name. The highlight came in the seventh inning. When the batter struck out for the second out of the inning, left fielder Adam Lind took two steps towards the dugout.
"HEY LIND! Where you going, that's only two outs ah. You got to get three outs in America ah"
"We help you out ah" and the crowd in left field chanted One, Two ,Three for Adam.
I was sorry to see the game over I was having so much fun. I'm sure Adam Lind didn't feel the same way.
We made our way back to the bar across the street and went back to Red Stripe, yea beer, the tables were filling up so I went over and asked a couple of guys if we could join them. It turns out they are Yankee fans from Jersey. A few of their friends joined in and we had the start of a party going. I went and got a few women to pose for the group photo. I bought a round of beers for the table but somehow when I returned to the table i had neglected to get a beer for the Red Sox fan, oh well.
In my tradition of getting my picture taken with women I approached a nice looking girl with a wife beater t-shirt and a butch friend. When I asked if she would pose for a photo she asked me." Wouldn't you rather have your picture taken with a woman that likes men?"
"Where's the challenge in that" She put her leg up on my hip and kissed me for the pic. She told me I was the first man she had ever kissed. I asked if she was still a lesbian, she said yes and I said, "I used to be a better kisser than that."
They joined the table and we all had a great time. She was from Jersey, The Yankee fans were from Jersey, Sara is from Jersey, the other two guys Tony and Paulie are from Jersey. OH, I didn't tell you about Tony and Paulie. They were alright but Paulie was telling story after story and I think Tony was getting upset with him. (Ed. note II. I think that Tony and Paulie were from the Sopranos episode we watched when we got back to the apartment but I was pretty drunk and that is the last thing I remember)
Monday morning Sara drove me to the airport and I flew home. All in all it was a fantastic weekend. I want to thank Sara for having me down for the weekend. Sean has no choice. I want to thank all the cousins that came together for a wonderful evening.
http://picasaweb.google.com/saratogairish/Baltimore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home