Saratoga Irish

Saturday, April 07, 2007

I encourage everyone who reads this blog to comment on it. I love to know that I am not just writing for my own amusement. Baseball season started the other day and I received two comments, both anonymous. All I'm asking is that if you want to say something, go ahead, just leave your name so that we all know who you are. If you disagree with my blog, fine, let's debate but let me know who I am debating with. One comment the other day said "Baseball sucks!!", if you have to use two exclamation points to show how emotional a statement it is at least back it up with some facts or at least some opinions. Baseball sucks because...get the idea? I don't think baseball sucks, I love the game, I like football, I enjoy hockey, I'll stop everything to see a soccer game, NASCAR.....I don't get it. I know a lot of people do, God knows I have spent a lot of time watching people run laps around a track and I enjoy that but NASCAR...don't get it. As far as baseball, does it suck or doesn't it. I have Hollywood on my side. According to the Internet movie database there are 1203 titles that use baseball as a keyword. Just a few, Major League, A League of Their Own, Mr. Baseball, Pride of the Yankees, Bang The Drum Slowly, Babe Ruth, The Bad News Bears, Field Of Dreams, Bull Durham, 61*, Eight Men Out, The Monty Stratton Story, The Winning Team, and that is just some of the good ones. The actors that have been in baseball movies include Academy Award wining actors such as Tom Hanks, James Stewart, Kevin Costner,Robert DiNiro. Even former President Ronald Regan was in a baseball movie. On Broadway they had Damm Yankee's and No No Nanette. If that's not enough for you here are few quotes to show the greatness of our national pastime.

"People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."Terence Mann ( James Earl Jones) Field of Dreams

"I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball. " Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) Bull Durham

" JUST a bit outside" Harry Doyle ( Bob Uker) Major League

Now for some real baseball, two outs in the bottom of the ninth in New York today, the Yankee's showed just what they are made of. Cano singles up the middle, Jeter walks, Abreu is hit by a pith to load the bases. up steps A-Rod. Bang! into the black seats in dead center field, a walk off grand slam. You would think that he would get a little credit from Yankee fans, pretty good game, two run dinger in the first inning, double off the wall in the fourth and the walk off job to end it. I hear guys at work grumbling, " let's see him do it in October". What do these people want? The guy is a MVP for crying out loud. I want A-Rod on my team. You don't get to October without guys like him.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I am an avid reader of this blog, so I should finally leave a comment.

A-Rod may have hit 4 HRs already this week, but he is only 13th in the AL in batting average. Is that really worth $27 million / year? I was probably the top 15 batters in my little league and all I got was an uncomfortable foam hat.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Steve said...

For those of you who don't know Jake, he is a graduate of Colgate University. He was a roommate of Sean's for all four years there and the webmaster of www.letskrong.com According to USA Today A-Rod only gets $22,000,000 a year. I know that the amount seems high but they pay Giambi $23,000,000 and he only has to bat. (fielding firstbase is only worth $1.5 mil for Mientkiewicz or $600,000 for Phelps) As far as the uncomfortable hat thing, Jake you are like a second son to me but really look at your noggin, it might not have been the hat son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home