Saratoga Irish

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whiskey in the Jar for everyone





Happy Tuesday everyone. for those that know me I started a new job yesterday. not making many friends, they think I'm a bit of a snob. I have a car and they have shopping carts but I'm not planning on staying long anyway.

My brother is the muse behind this posting. I was over at his house on Sunday and he played Whiskey in the Jar by Elvis Presley for me. this started a search that showed how many different people recorded this little Irish song. Of course Thin Lizzy made the song world famous when they released it in the early '70's. Up to that point it had been a folk standard with recordings going back to the '50's. In 2000, metal group Metallica won a Grammy for their version. Here are just a few for you to sample.

The King

,

The Grateful Dead,



The Dubliners,


Other groups to record the song are, The Pogues, The High Kings, The Killdares and to show you that everyone Irish knows the song here is the U2 live in Dublin,





So there it is, a wee Irish tune that goes world wide. As Sam said to me once, "That song you were all singing in the bar, you know Gin in the Box Daddyo"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home