Saratoga Irish

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Would you do the right thing? It's easy to say yes but deep down would you? I'm thinking of this because last Thursday night I called my nephew John at 8:30. Just when the pregame ended and game seven of the National League Championship was about to start. John is a huge Met fan and I called to say that my car had broken down and would he come and pick me up. I know that this is not a life or death situation but it's one of those little test in life that determine your character. I told him I was a few miles from his house, I know that we would not have missed much of the game and he could have listened on the radio in the car but that's beside the point. John gave the correct answer, "I'll be right there." I let him off the hook and we both had a good laugh but those four words meant a lot to me and I think define John. So what would you do in a similar situation? Do you care enough about someone to drop everything you are doing and help. What matters more to you, friends or family. This is a hard one because no one what's to openly admit that they don't like their family so let's just stick to friends. How do you define friendship? If you meet someone once do you call them a friend? How much time do you have to spend with someone to call them a friend? How many friends do you need and what do you do if two friends don't like each other. I think that when you are young you have lots of friends, you've seen those weddings with eight ushers or bridesmaids. Someone older gets married and you have to seat yourself in the church, they have a bestman and that's it. What determines a best friend and can you have more than one? How do you classify a person that you have not seen for a long time, years, but you run into them and spend a few hours together and you pick up the conversation like you had never been apart. Are they friends, good friends, old friends, long lost friends? Just what is a long lost friend anyway, if they were a friend why would you lose them in the first place. I know that people change but if you are friends why should the changes matter?
I know that this blog is getting a bit deep so I'll end it with a few photos of friends. try to hum the theme from the Courtship of Eddie's Father as you look at the photos.
People let me tell you 'bout my best friend

He's a warm hearted person who'll love me till the end.

People let me tell you bout my best friend,He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down, my pride and joy.People let me tell you 'bout him he's so much funWhether we're talkin' man to man or whether we're talking son to son.
Cause he's my best friend.
Yes he's my best friend.


La da da da da da................

1 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a tear runs down my cheek... that, was beautiful....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home